Leaders in Action Program
10 months of adventures, skill development, and outdoor pursuits.
*Participants must be 15 years or older to participate*
Our 2023 - 2024 Leaders in Action program is now open for registration. If you are interested in this program, please click the APPLY NOW button and fill out an application! The 2023 Leaders in Action program will start in mid-September!
This program is a well-rounded experience-based program aimed at giving youth an opportunity to try new adventures and outdoor pursuits, gain valuable volunteer experience with a consistent group of peers and leaders throughout the year. All of the outdoor sports we offer are included in this program, youth outdoor enthusiasts are sure to be satisfied by the variety and depth of experiences offered in the Leaders in Action program.
The program starts with an overnight trip to provide all participants an opportunity to bond and get to know one another. The remainder of the year is broken up into 3 semesters: Sept - Dec, Jan - March, and April - June. We will wrap the year up with a larger overnight trip that is planned and organized by the participants as a way to demonstrate all the skills they have developed. Included in the program is instruction for each sport from certified instructors, all the required equipment, lift tickets, rentals and transport. Applications for the 2023/24 program are being accepted! Use the APPLY NOW link or email us at [email protected]
Check out or 2020 overnight trip!
Semester One focuses on hiking and rock climbing, along with trip planning and community engagement. Time will be spent volunteering and event planning focusing on raising funds to cover the costs of the year end trip. Participants will enjoy 6 days of hiking, 2 days of outdoor climbing, 6 days of indoor climbing, snowshoeing and in class sessions to round out their growth.
Semester Two brings hard skills like snowboarding and winter survival. Job shadowing will begin and further contribution to the year end trip will continue. Participants will be expected to volunteer in our Learn to Shred program, to pass on their snowboarding skills and develop as a youth leader. Participants will enjoy 8 days of learning to snowboard, winter survival skill development, and 2-3+ days of snowboarding and volunteering with our Learn to Shred program for some more time on the snow. Efforts towards fundraising and organizing the year end trip will continue.
Semester Three will focus on rock climbing, mountain biking and development of hard skills needed for the end of year trip. There will be community engagement and volunteering sessions with the final round of job shadowing wrapping up. Participants will enjoy 2-4 days of hiking, 1-2 more days of outdoor climbing, 8-12 days of mountain biking along with extra days of climbing through Get a Grip where our leaders are expected to volunteer.
- Youth will take part in all Elevation Outdoors’ activities during the year, including Climbing, Hiking, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, plus additional activities of snowshoeing, outdoor winter survival and trail building.
- Volunteering will also be a part of the program on a regular basis via helping with younger youth in our core programs, helping at fundraisers, and aiding other organizations with outdoor trail maintenance.
- Job shadowing will also be a focus for youth so they can explore different industries and see where their career interest may lie.
- The group will learn to take control of their own finances and direction by designing and executing their own fundraiser to fund an end of year camping trip.
Cost /Available Spaces
- Only 2 paid spots are available, at a cost of $3,000 per seat
- 6 seats are available on scholarship for youth that meet our eligibility criteria. Scholarships cover 100% of the costs to participate. Click here (scroll down to 'Who We Serve') to see our scholarship eligibility requirements.
- Partial funding may be available for families that do not meet scholarship criteria but still face financial barriers
- Fundraising opportunities can also be used to reduce the financial burden
- Payment plan to pay monthly or by semester are possible
- Year round 10 month program - September to June
- Average of 6-8 sessions per month
- 15 - 18 years old (if the participant is turning 15 early in the program we will consider applications as well)
- Current interest in outdoor sports and pursuits is a benefit but not required
- Desire to gain career and/or experience in outdoor leadership
- Would benefit from positive influences and mentors
- Shows interest in community minded leadership
To register for the Leaders in Action program please download the registration package below or follow the online registration link above (green button) to register online.
Scholarship Seat Sponsors
We are looking for individuals and companies that would like to sponsor one or more seats in the program to allow youth from all backgrounds an opportunity to take park in this program.
Morningside Rotary Club of Kelowna
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.
Ce projet a été rendu possible grâce au gouvernement du Canada par l’entremise de
l’initiative Le sport communautaire pour tous. Éliminer les obstacles et augmenter les taux de participation au sport chez les populations
sous-représentées sont en tête des priorités du gouvernement du Canada.
Pour plus d'informations sur nos programmes en français, envoie un courriel à [email protected]